crispy fried tofu in a hot and sour sauce keeps supper pretty simple! It goes well with rice, sautéed bok choy, or Chinese broccoli.
Chinese food is usually grouped into five flavors: salty, spicy, sour, sweet, and bitter. There is a proverb that says, “To truly master Chinese cooking, one must learn to blend the flavors harmoniously.” This quick and easy dish of crispy tofu in a tangy, spicy sauce will make your taste buds sing.
to make CRISPY FRIED TOFU you’ll need the following ingredients :
- 2 spring onions (scallions), finely sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 225g (8oz) firm tofu, cut into 2cm (¾in) cubes
For the hot and sour sauce:
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp chili bean sauce
- 1½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 160ml (⅔ cup) vegetable stock
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
How to make CRISPY FRIED TOFU :
- Make sure your wok is completely dry before you start cooking by wiping it down with kitchen paper. Put it over a medium-low flame, add the sesame seeds, and toast them slowly for two to three minutes, or until they turn golden brown. Put on a plate and set aside to cool.
- Over medium heat, heat the oil in the wok, and fry the tofu cubes for two to three minutes on each side, until they are golden brown. The outside should be crispy, but the inside should be soft. Place on a plate with paper towels to drain.
Put all the ingredients for the hot and sour sauce into the wok over medium-high heat. Bring the sauce to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for 3–5 minutes.
- Add the tofu cubes and stir them around in the sauce to coat them and warm them up.
Transfer to a serving dish and top with spring onions, sesame seeds that have been toasted, and a drizzle of sesame oil. Serve Hot.
Recipe notes :
If you want to bake the tofu, coat the cubes with 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and mix them in a big bowl. Then, on a large baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper, arrange the cubes in an even layer with some space between them. Bake in an oven that has been preheated to 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the topping is crispy and golden brown. Put the finishing touches on it by covering it with a warm sweet-and-sour sauce just before serving!