The filling of these golden-brown vegetable spring rolls is made up of carrots, red bell pepper, bean sprouts, and bamboo shoots.
In Chinese cooking, spring rolls are savory rolls filled with Chinese leaf and other vegetables and wrapped in a thin, cylinder-shaped pastry. The name comes from the fact that they are usually eaten during the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year).
Spring rolls are a Chinese delicacy that is traditionally served during the spring festival. Chinese New Year is a great time to serve spring rolls, which are shaped and colored like gold bars because they are believed to bring good fortune and riches. A lot of recipes ask for minced pork or chicken, but I prefer making them out of mixed vegetables and glass noodles.
Spring roll pastry can be difficult to come by, but Asian supermarkets often carry it, and it comes in a variety of sizes; the wrappers I used were roughly 10cm square. This is the smallest size that wonton wrappers may be used, so don’t use them if you want to seal the filling properly. It’s fine to change the vegetables in the filling if you like red peppers, celery, and green beans. These crispy snacks are virtually seductive when dipped in simple sesame oil and rice wine vinegar dipping sauce.
The required Ingredients :
For the filling
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- ½ Chinese leaf (Napa cabbage), shredded (1½ cups)
- 3 spring onions (scallions), sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely shredded
- 225g (8oz) tin water chestnuts, drained and roughly chopped
- 225g (8oz) tin bamboo shoots, drained and roughly chopped
- 50g (1 cup) beansprouts
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 20 spring roll wrappers (21.5cm/8½in square), defrosted in the packet before separating
- 2 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with 1 tbsp beaten egg
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- groundnut oil for deep-frying
- sweet chili sauce, to serve
How to make VEGETARIAN MINI SPRING ROLLS :
- Bring a wok to a high temperature. Add 1 tablespoon of groundnut oil, then the spring onions, garlic, carrot, and Chinese leaves. Stir-fry for two to three minutes, or until soft. Add the water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, soy sauce, salt, and pepper. Stir-fry for one more minute, then take the pan off the heat and add the sesame oil. Move to a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Place a wrapper on a board with a corner facing you. Brush the edges with the cornflour and egg mixture. Put about a tablespoon of the vegetable mixture in the corner of the wrapper. Fold the tip of one corner over the filling to make a sausage shape about 8 cm (314 in) long, turn in the other two corners to close in the filling, and keep rolling. Use the rest of the wrappers and fill the same way.
- Pour enough oil into a wok so that the spring rolls can float, heat to 160°C (325°F), and deep-fry the spring rolls in batches of four for 3–4 minutes, or until golden brown. Carefully take the food out of the oil and put it on a wire rack or a plate with kitchen paper on it. Once all of the spring rolls are done, serve them hot with sweet chili sauce for dipping.
Like SPRING ROLLS? you can also check those recipes :