Our Singapore rice Noodles recipe tastes just like what you’d get at any Chinese takeout or Cantonese restaurant, It’s easy to make and tasty and comes together in just a few minutes.
Even though it’s not a traditional Chinese or Cantonese dish, you can find this dish on many menus around the world and is a big reason why people love “Ruby Murrays” (curry). Here, spices are in the rice noodles to give them that perfect hot and spicy taste.
in this recipe, we are using very thin rice noodles. A package that says “rice vermicelli” or “rice stick noodles” should be sought. They are frequently from Thailand, Vietnam, or China.
What are Singapore rice noodles?
I had been eating Singapore Mei Fun (Singapore Rice Noodles, ) for years before I realized that it had nothing to do with Singapore. But some people think it is a Hong Kong recipe by chefs who get their inspiration from Cantonese noodles and Southeast Asian food. It’s also a popular choice on Chinese takeout menus in the West.
The required Ingredients:
- 250g (9oz) dried rice noodles (vermicelli)
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 red (bell) pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 carrot, halved then cut into matchsticks
- a handful of beansprouts
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp medium curry powder
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 100g (3½oz) cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 100g (3½oz) cooked prawns (shrimp)
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 spring onions (scallions), thinly sliced lengthways
Make your own curry powder:
- 4½ tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp cardamom seeds
- 1cm (½in) cinnamon stick
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1½ tsp cumin seeds
- ½ tsp whole black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
How to make Singapore rice noodles:
- Firstly, pour boiling water over the rice noodles in a large bowl and let them sit for 10 minutes. After that, drain the noodles and set them aside to cool.
- Stir-fry the ginger, chili, meanwhile curry powder for a few seconds in hot oil in a wok. Add the pepper, carrot, and bean sprouts and cook for another minute. Then add the chicken and prawns that have already been cooked and stir well to mix everything together.
- Stir-fry the noodles for 2 minutes, then make sure everything is well mixed.
- Add the dried chili flakes, soy sauce, oyster sauce, then vinegar, and mix them all together.
- Make a well in the middle of your wok by pushing the noodles up the sides. After that, add the beaten egg and stir gently until the egg is cooked all the way through.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Take the pan off the heat, drizzle in the sesame oil, and stir.
- Place on a plate, sprinkle with spring onions, then serve right away.
- Finally, for making your own curry powder, use a blender or a pestle and mortar to grind all the ingredients into a fine powder. This amount will make at least 3 tablespoons of curry powder, which is more than enough for the noodle recipe above. However, it is easy to make a bigger batch that can be stored in an airtight jar for up to a month.
CAN SINGAPORE RICE NOODLES BE VEGETARIAN?
Yes! Use tofu instead of meat to turn it into a vegetarian dish. Instead of prawns, use edamame. Leave out the fish sauce and replace the flavor with more soy sauce.
Do you like this recipe? you can also check those: