Here is all you need to know about making Chinese egg-fried rice (Yung Chow Fried Rice) from scratch.
The first time fried rice was made was around 13,500 years ago (wow!).
During the Qing Dynasty, this dish was made and named after the city where it was made, Yangzhou. There are two ways to cook the egg: as “silver covered gold,” where the egg is scrambled before being mixed into the rice, or as “gold covered silver,” where the egg is poured into the pan and stirred into the rice while it is cooking, coating the rice and other ingredients. I always cook my rice with the “gold over silver” method.
The secret of YUNG CHOW FRIED RICE :
When it comes to preparing great Yang Chow Fried Rice, the key lies in the components. To begin, follow the steps outlined in the recipe below. For best results, include as many ingredients as possible. Similarly, the grains of rice should not be clumped together. Barbecued Pork is one of the essential ingredients. Barbecued Pork, also known as Char Siu, adds a unique flavor profile to this fried rice dish. This fried rice is now complete as a meal on its own.
Flavour and texture are critical components of any Fried Rice recipe. Avoid using sticky rice while making fried rice at home. Every time I make a meal, I make sure to use up any leftover rice. As the rice cooks, the starch in it becomes less sticky. There is a good likelihood that the grains of rice will separate from one another while cooking.
To make this fried rice you will need the following ingredients :
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 30g (¼ cup) peas
- 40g (1½oz) char siu pork, cut into small cubes
- 35g (1¼oz) cooked prawns (shrimp)
- 550g (1lb 4oz) cold steamed rice
- a pinch of salt, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp sesame oil
So how to make YANGZHOU SPECIAL FRIED RICE?
- Firstly In a nonstick wok, heat the groundnut oil. Add the pork, and after 1 minute, add the prawns and rice. Cook for 2 minutes. Remember, this is fried rice, so your work needs to be hot, hot, hot, and you should be able to hear the ingredients sizzling as they cook.
- Add the peas, oyster sauce, and soy sauce. Stir-fry the rice until it is warm all the way through. Check the seasoning and, if it needs it, add a small pinch of salt.
- Make a well in the middle of the rice and pour the egg into it. Cook the egg until it is set, and then mix it into the rice. Turn off the heat, drizzle the sesame oil over the top, and serve immediately.
- If you’re going to prepare fried rice the next day, cut back on the water a little bit while it’s steaming. Because of this, they’re better for fried rice because they’re harder. It is not advisable to use soft rice.
- For this recipe, you can use either a wok or a skillet. In the absence of an old wok, a nonstick skillet is the best choice for a new wok because it is less likely to stick.
Does Yang Chow Fried Rice taste good to you? What is it about it that you find most appealing?