It’s called the “Happy Family” and I would always order it at Chinese restaurants. It is a tasty stir-fry of chicken and vegetables. Now I do this with my indoor grill at home.
This dish has char siu pig, chicken, beef, and seafood, and it is served with mixed vegetables in a rich gravy that has a fragrant aroma. Immigrants from China who immigrated to the United States to work in the mines and on the railroads were the ones responsible for founding the company.
This recipe requires those ingredients :
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 onion, diced
- 40g (1½oz) chicken breast fillet, sliced
- 1 red (bell) pepper, de-seeded and diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 40g (½ cup) small broccoli florets
- 40g (½ cup) sugar snap peas, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 30g (¼ cup) tinned bamboo shoots
- 3 baby corn cobs, halved lengthways
- 40g (¼ cup) tinned water chestnuts, cut into bite-sized slices
- 8 king prawns (tiger shrimp), shelled and de-veined
- 40g (1½oz) Chinese Roast BBQ Pork, cut into bite-sized slices
- 40g (1½oz) fillet steak, sliced
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 120ml (½ cup) chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cornflour (cornstarch) mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
how to make HAPPY FAMILY dish :
Heat the groundnut oil in a wok over medium-high heat, add the garlic
and onion and fry for 1 minute. Add the chicken and fry for 2 minutes, then
the remainder of the vegetables and stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Add the prawns, pork, and beef, stir-fry for a minute, and then add the
soy sauces, oyster sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and stock. Bring to the boil,
turn down the heat and simmer for 2 minutes.
Stir in the cornflour mixture to thicken the sauce, then remove from the
heat, stir in the sesame oil, and serve.
How to get authentic flavors in your Chinese Happy family
The key to these real tastes is using real ingredients. When you read it, it seems clear, doesn’t it? And I’m not talking about a long list of ingredients. If you buy just a few Asian ingredients, your stir fry will go from being okay to being amazing. Also, you can buy both of them at the grocery store.
- Oyster sauce is a thick, rich, brown sauce that gives food a lot of depth and a good hit of Chinese saltiness. It is now sold in grocery stores all over the world.
- Chinese Cooking Wine is also called Chinese Rice Wine, Shaohsing Rice Cooking Wine, Shaoxing wine, and Shaoxing Cooking Wine. You can find this in the Asian section of most grocery stores. Just don’t mistake it for rice wine vinegar!! If you can’t find Chinese Cooking Wine, use dry sherry instead.
- Cut the meat the right way by slicing it across the grain, and then marinate it in baking soda (see above for detailed pictures)
- Before you start cooking, get your vegetables and garlic ready. Chinese stir-frying is a fast way to cook, so you need to get everything ready ahead of time.
- Before you start cooking, mix the ingredients for the sauce together, but make sure to whisk it well before you add it to the pan.
- Don’t let the meat or vegetables cook for too long. You want everything to be crisp and just done.
- Use a pan with a flat bottom to get the best heat (see above for why)
- Invest in two great Chinese ingredients for a truly authentic taste (you can find them in the grocery store or online). It will change EVERYTHING.